The current haute couture and fitness trends have led to an epidemic of ingrown pubic hairs. Grooming our pubic hair is a very personal choice. Do we really want to tame that unruly bush ? People’s reaction to the topic range from… who cares !… just a little trim please… to I like that “clean virginal look”.
Improper pubic hair grooming habits lead to ingrown pubic hairs. Shaving is the most common culprit but, improper waxing, tweezing and depilatory products can also cause these hairs. Yes, I know if you’re going to wear a bikini or a speedo… something has to be done in the “bikini area”. Again some professions demand that the “bikini area” be maintained… body builders… models etc.
Persons with dark, coarse… curly hair are prone to ingrown hairs. As you know, the pubic area is usually curlier and coarser than other areas. People of color are unusually susceptible to such hairs… and unfortunately ingrown hairs… period.
An ingrown pubic hair is caused by a hair being cut too short… or it breaks off below the skin. The hair then begins to grow into the side of the follicle. It becomes that angry red bump you’re familiar with… an ingrown pubic hair. Let’s look at the best prevention tips.
Shaving- The best prevention is not to shave the pubic area… or shave less often. If you must shave… do it properly !
- Trim the Pubic Hair- Pull the hair away from your body and trim with scissors or clippers with a safety guard.
- Soak In The Tub- Warm water will soften your pubic hair.
- Shaving Cream- It’s best to use a hypo- allergenic shaving cream to soften the hair and make it easier to shave. Many people are allergic to commercial shaving creams in this sensitive area. It’s always good to perform a “patch test” with any new product. Try the product on your forearm and see if you get a reaction.
- Razors- Use a sharp single bladed razor, preferably a safety razor to shave the pubic area. Multi bladed razors, shave too close to the skin, and can lead to ingrown pubic hairs. A sharp single bladed razor is the best defense against them.
- Shaving- Stretch your skin with one hand. Shave in the direction of the hair growth… or with the grain. Use two or three short strokes to lessen irritation. Shave once a week… as shaving more often can leave the hair too short… making it easier an hair to develop. If you shave in the same manner every time, you can train the hair to grow straighter. This is a benefit to shaving the same way each time. This is crucial for the African American population who are highly prone to ingrown hairs.